• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Book Club: NieA_7.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sorry you're not liking it so far, Blood. Both you and Zalis found the character Niea annoying, which makes me wonder if she's actually less irritating in the original Japanese (which I watched). From the audio comparison I did ages ago, I just remember I found the US actress playing Mayuko to be lacking, and since she's the core character...
No, I remember her being just as annoying in Japanese. After all, she was played by the actress who played the most angsty character in Evangelion Evil or Very Mad Much like Excel Excel in Excel Saga, NieA's supposed to be annoying. For me, it was always her behavior and actions that annoyed me, not the vocal performance in either language. As I mentioned earlier, Mayuko's constant self-blame isn't a good state to be in. But in real life, people with no sense of responsibility or accountability annoy me more.[/quote]
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I've probally watched this series 2 times in the last 3 years-I find it to be rather quirky and humerous, the last 4 episodes don't maintain the comic intensity of the first ones-to me the funniest scene is when Niea's "flying saucer" runs out of extension cord and comes crashing into the roof. It's a fun little series and certainly has it's moments.
hypersoda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. This sucks. The next two weeks are exam weeks for me...so I really don't know if I'm gonna be able to watch.

Happy that NieA_7 was selected though. On an off-topic note, I'm even happier than that now because there's going to be a third Golden Sun! Excuse me while I go fangirl in a corner.
EvanUnisil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:Alien & Violence Cosmic Bath discussion may start today. Feel free to discuss this and the first episode at your leisure Smile I have to go out with my kid, so I'll be back later to post my thoughts.

EDIT:

1. What did you think of the episode(s)?
It was Ok, I felt it was dedicated to the development of the characters and their relationships. So we got to know more about the Bathhouse staff and their relationship with Mayuko. The economic state of the bathhouse seems to match that of Mayu. It wasn't a great episode but not bad either.

2. What parts (if any) did you dislike about the episode(s)? Why?
Nothing I disliked really but if I were to choose, I guess when spoiler[Mayu was first captured by the plant... ]I just didn't find it funny, that's all.

3. Did you notice anything that others might not have noticed?
Nah, not this time.

4. What was the most memorable moment of the episode(s) for you?
Either when Yoshioka lights his pipe or when he's spoiler[burning the plant] and laughing like a madman Laughing

Actually I take that back, the sounds from the outdoors were the most memorable for me. The contrast of the sounds from inside the jungle to outside the bathhouse really stood out for me.

5. What do you think was the point of the episode?
Character development, again with the odd little tidbit here and there thrown in for good measure.

Some things on my mind...

*What caused the crater? Why is it an "Under Restricted Area"?

*Why is the bathhouse so important to everyone working there? Mayu I can understand, but Yoshioka, Kotomi and the old lady?

*The reason behind Mayu's final line of the episode "Do I have something to work hard for?". I'm sure this will be important in the near future.

Last edited by EvanUnisil on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

1. What did you think of the episode(s)?
Seemed to have more of a comedy focus than the first episode. Mayu nearly being eaten by a plant (twice) and the poorly-drawn visions she had about manual labor and putting NieA into a wrestling hold made me laugh.
Dislike is probably too strong a word for this, but it bothered me that Mayu is apologizing for things that are not her fault, including her wrecked room. As Zalis said before, she faults herself for such things. NieA is still annoying, complaining about being hungry, trying to steal the lunch. It's played for comedy, but it's annoying.
There was a nice sound effect of something huge splashing in water while they were walking through the jungle looking for oil. Made me wonder what it could be.
Yoshioka showing his pyromania in the boiler room. He seemed rather normal to that point. I also enjoy his crush on Kotomi.
I also enjoyed Mayu's reaction to watching Kotomi give her all to the bathhouse. Mayu's question, asking herself if there's anything she should be working hard for, seems very important. It's the kind of question Mayu should be asking, as someone trying to get into college and decide on a direction in life.
Introduce more characters, introduce the plight of the bathhouse, which has been losing money for months.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
EvanUnisil wrote:

Some things on my mind...

*What caused the crater? Why is it an "Under Restricted Area"?

When the mother-ship crushed near Enohana, it caused this huge crater. Most likely, the aliens moved to its edge and initially settled in the small shabby village you have seen in the bottom. There is a distance between the village and the ship though, covered with those gluttonous jungle like plants, along with other known or unknown foliage, which additionally makes it somewhat greater.
"Under Alien Restricted Area" refers to the entrance, which separates Enohana and the crater's edge, leading to the alien village. In the first episode it was translated "Under Residential Area Below". I have to check if the translation changed in episode 2 (later).

Quote:
*Why is the bathhouse so important to everyone working there? Mayu I can understand, but Yoshioka, Kotomi and the old lady?

Well, the common denominator is that the bathhouse had or has a sentimental value.

Except that Mayu's father owned the bath for a time, it was mentioned in the manga that Kotomi used to visit the bathouse as younger, and has some distant family relation to Momo (the old lady) and her late husband, from whom Kotomi pretty much might have inherited the bathhouse, in a way. If I am not mistaken, in the manga Kotomi is a manager, the owner is Momo, but in the anime the owner and the manager is Kotomi. So may be a little far-fetched, but for Momo and Kotomi the bathhouse has the same meaning as to Mayu.
Well, in my opinion, Kotomi continues with her wacky management for other reasons. She lives and works in the city and coming often to Enohana gives her a chance to slow her pace, recharge, enjoy a little laid-back living with people she knows. My impression is that Kotomi, as much as being a realist, also has a nostalgic side. In episode 2, she could be seen doing housework, worrying for the "retrieval party", almost like a caring mom or a housewife would.
In this regard, Yoshioka is an open book. However he reacts to NieA's teasing him for his feelings for Kotomi, he certainly has them, aside from his arsonist nature, which comes at hand when stuff is to be burned Very Happy (well, this was memorable for me) and gives him opportunity to enjoy his profession. The funny thing, though, is that Kotomi sees his enthusiasm as a personal distortion, perhaps unwilling to recognise his feelings (hm, I don't know).
In summary, the bathhouse is loaded with precious memories and strong feelings; it gives its staff and inhabitants a homely vibe they cherish and try to preserve.

Quote:
*The reason behind Mayu's final line of the episode "Do I have something to work hard for?". I'm sure this will be important in the near future.

Well, this episode shows Mayu among the bathhouse society, that is, a little bit from a distance. She certainly blames herself and agrees immediately to do (more) manual work, to take part in a crazy quest, etc., being too conscious and guilt-driven as usual. However, she is interested in other people. She nurtures a higher regard for Kotomi for being calm and collected, strong willed, and generally a good-natured woman. Through Kotomi, Mayu explores a possible model of self she grows respect and seems to find working. Not to forget, Mayu studies hard in order to get into a college with greatest grades possible. That is, she has a plan and thinks for her future by putting all the efforts she has into it. (I find her very different from Lain who is confused and almost clinically introverted). Also, she doesn't shy away when talking to Yoshioka, and (I'll mark this one, I guess, again) NieA gives her a lot of chances to taste the supremacy of assertiveness Smile NieA's impudent remark of how Mayu was the cause for the roof incident utterly angers me every time I see it. (I probably won't be staisfied with an inner image theater).
Anyway, I am just noting the visualisation of Mayu's thoughts - somebody mentioned them in the first episode discussion (and above), in this one there are more of them.

So. Episode 2 was genuinely funny, in spite it repeated the sequence "good intentions-epic fail" seen in the first ep., widening the circle of troubled characters by bit.
What I specifically liked, was the alternating scenes of the party's "violent" adventure and the idilic views of Kotomi and Momo at the bathhouse. Skillful and interesting editing.
Also, we have the official opening, with the missing crow, but I adore the shot with the cat and the crawling foreign organism (NieA) on the dump.

{edit: typos and others}
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
...aaaaaaaaaaaand, I'm out. Sorry guys, but this series is just not grabbing me. I fully intend to finish watching it as some point (I could no more not finish watching a series I paid cash monies for than I could fly to the moon). But for me to give the proper amount of examination to a series that a book club thread calls for...I just don't have it in me for Niea_7.

It's not that it is a bad or poorly done series, this is purely what I would call a "wavelength" issue. If you are on the right wavelength with this show, you will dig it. If you're not, you won't. Pretty profound insight, eh?

Anyway, I won't be reading any more of this thread once discussion of the third eppie gets underway because I don't want to read spoilers. I hope the book club thread idea carries on after this one, and I hope to see you all there.
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Gonna skip the official answering format for something a little less formal.

I'm enjoying the nostalgic feeling surrounding the bath house. Amidst the bustling near future altered by the appearance of alien beings, the fact that something so quaint and old-fashioned still exists lends kind of a comforting, familiar feeling to the show that grounds it in reality a bit.

I'm finding that the current economic climate is coloring how I react to this series. If we were in the midst of better times, I might view the fact the bathhouse is in the red as a failing of the ownership; something due to incompetence rather than unfortunate circumstances. As it stands now, however, I sympathize a lot more with the characters and admire their industrious attitude towards cutting costs.

What I'm not liking so much are the character interactions. I'm still not a bit fan of NieA and her counter-productiveness (if I had to hear her whine about the "bento" another time I might have put my fist through the screen), and, like others have complained, I think that Mayu is altogether too apologetic for things that aren't her doing (a fault which seems very Japanese to me).

Also, I feel like it'll be difficult to keep watching everyone end up worse than how they started, if that's the direction the show is going at this point. Just when I thought their jungle adventure might actually have helped to turn a profit, they end up spending more money just to fix the problem that they inadvertently created. I think it speaks to the quality of the show so far that the reason I can't laugh at the characters' continued misfortune is that I actually feel sympathy for them (especially Mayu, who despite her faults is really just trying to do the best job she can). I'm just hoping that they don't get knocked down too much further.

Anyway, I'm still excited to see how things progress.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why everyone reacts against Niea - there are plenty more annoying characters in anime! I think, without her, Mayuko would be much lonelier.

Episode 2 (Japanese lang, Eng sub)
I'm intrigued by the last shot of the opening credits - Niea in a red light with "_7" written all over her, looking genuinely angry.

This episode establishes a random/slice of life approach for the series, but at the same time the relative realism of (most of) the characters keeps it more grounded than most shows.

We are introduced to the admirable character of Kotomi, plus the old woman (Momo?), and Yoshioka gets a bit of development. They're all sympathetic characters, all drawn a little broadly for comedic purposes.

I liked the exploration of the crater area, run down and exotic at the same time. The cutting between the oil expedition and Kotomi pottering about at home was a nice touch, leavening the wacky giant plant combat with a warm, quiet atmosphere (which is helped by the realistic art style).

Some thoughts I haven't had before:

There are no cars. The hand-pulled wagon makes things feel old-timey.

Where is Niea from; who are her parents? Maybe she has no antenna because she is a "love child" hybrid of alien and human?

I am getting suspicious - What is Kotomi's job, that involves meeting a client at 7pm, plus video editing?

Blood, sorry you'll be leaving us (try the sub next time).

Mike on Top, I know what you are implying, and I thoroughly disagree Wink

EvanUnisil - The spoilers are for future episodes, as I assume people have seen the episode currently under review. I'll try to phrase the spoiler topics more carefully in future, but there will be spoilers, and if you don't want to read 'em, don't peek!
EvanUnisil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
I don't understand why everyone reacts against Niea - there are plenty more annoying characters in anime! I think, without her, Mayuko would be much lonelier.

Blood, sorry you'll be leaving us (try the sub next time).

EvanUnisil - The spoilers are for future episodes, as I assume people have seen the episode currently under review. I'll try to phrase the spoiler topics more carefully in future, but there will be spoilers, and if you don't want to read 'em, don't peek!

Yeah, I like NieA and find her to actually be funny. I guess it's 'cause I don't normally watch anime comedies and I'm not tired of the same rehashed characters? I dunno.

Sad to see Blood- leave too... It would've been nice to see you keep going even if you don't like it - your negative opinion of the show is still an interesting one to read and a good contrast to mine. I really don't find Mayu and the bathhouse's plight to be disturbing, despite currently being unemployed myself and counting pennies. I guess it's kind of like people who have fought in a war; I'm sure a lot of them don't enjoy watching war movies.

And eyeresist, yeah, it's my own greedy fault for looking beneath the veal. I'll just make sure to avoid it from now on. And like you said... if it's part of the first four episodes, it's my own fault Razz

Last edited by EvanUnisil on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sad to see Blood- leave too... It would've been nice to see you keep going even if you don't like it - your negative opinion of the show is still an interesting one to read and a good contrast to mine.

In that regard, it is too bad I didn't dislike the show MORE, because I can get just as energized ranting about a show I hate as I can in raving about a show I love. It's only when my response is tepid that the desire to analyze it dries up.

The other thing is that when I do go back to the series, I may have a different reaction. That sometimes happens. Mood and circumstance can obviously have an impact on the enjoyment (or lack thereof) of a series.
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
I think the reason why I haven't taken to NieA is that I feel she's a one-dimensional character so far. While I don't like the fact that Mayu is too apologetic, I feel like she's being developed as a character. So far NieA hasn't had that benefit, since she's mostly been around to be obnoxious and complain loudly about the same things over and over again (mostly her own hunger). When NieA spoiler[smashed the sand castle the other little alien children were building], I was like "Really? You're that immature?"

It's not nearly enough to make me want to stop watching the show, of course. And I have hopes that NieA will get her time to shine later on also. Right now she's just obnoxious, though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
belindabird wrote:
When NieA spoiler[smashed the sand castle the other little alien children were building], I was like "Really? You're that immature?"

See, I actually enjoyed that part. The kids were being bratty to her and they had it coming. Keep in mind, I think Niea_7 herself is basically a kid, so some of her "obnoxious" qualities are merely reflections of the ego-centricity and lack of empathy that are hallmarks of child behaviour.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
belindabird wrote:
When NieA spoiler[smashed the sand castle the other little alien children were building], I was like "Really? You're that immature?"

This makes me wonder if you have ever seen an anime comedy before Very Happy

Blood, I guess you'll eventually watch the show at your own pace, which would be more agreeable - and I think you should avoid the dub.

Episode 3 (Japanese lang, Eng sub)

NB: If you're not up to episode 3, don't read this!

Overall, this is another nice slice-of-life episode, but we meet some new alien character, learn something about curry, and are intrigued by a possible mystery concerning the mothership.

This episode begins and ends with the view of the mothership on the distant horizon. Hmmmm...

LOL at Niea in her sleep: "Don't be so greedy, Mayu. I'm the one who caught the monkey!"
And this of course reminds us how short they are on food.

I really don't like the big-headed Indian guy. He's creepy and not funny.

LOL at Mayuko: "Don't insult the Electric Power Company!" Maybe this makes more sense in Japan?

I must confess I like the sound of Mayuko's desperate screams....

Warning: Indians running 7/11 stereotype (but is it a stereotype if it's true?)

We learn that Niea is acquainted with other aliens in the area, hinting at a part of her life we have not been aware of.

Mayu's paper route looks much cheerier when the weather is fine (plus she doesn't fall over this time).

The newspaper guy says "Humans make the best wives." Hmmm.... Is he an alien married to an Earthling? Subtle hint of intermarriage.

Mayu passes a strange looking new restaurant. More later?

A wacky radio DJ unexpectedly introduces an old-sounding blues guitar instrumental. Niea lazing is on the roof with an old fashioned radio. Distortion - a strange humming sound - Is it from the radio? Niea wakes and looks up at the mothership. Hmmm....

A mysterious stranger arrives by bus (still no cars around). He is a "class five elite" who used to be an under, so it looks like class mobility is possible for aliens.
The alien underclass reminds me that there are actually a couple of underclass indigenous racial groups in Japan: the Ainou, and another one I don't remember.

Mayu on Niea: "She mostly lives like a roach, but...."

More old blues guitar on the radio - a peaceful mood.

Alien meeting - the low point of the episode?

I enjoyed the three aliens parody of the Iron Chef judges: "This gritty taste is so unusual."

The aliens at the meeting all seem to be cosplaying as different Earth types. Karna is the Chinese stereotype, in silk robe with panda accessories. I enjoy her humiliation when she gets her wires crossed ("Pretend not to notice").

Niea, accused of being a good-for-nothing freeloader, retorts: "Aliens like you make us good-natured unemployed aliens look bad!"
Mocked for her lack of antenna, Niea says "I don't want a spinning lollipop on my head!" As an outcast, Niea seems to reject all social conventions of class and behaviour.

Curry battle! (literal)

The mysterious stranger arrives, and gets clobbered (with curry). He is introduced as Geronimo Hongo, and that's the last we hear from him for now.

End of the day: Mayu smiles as she thinks "However, Niea didn't care at all and had fun as usual." Definite signs of affection there?
Niea is on the bottom rung of society, but seems to enjoy life more than anyone.

Concluding shot of mysterious mothership....
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:10 am Reply with quote
Gah! I totally forgot about the club the past few days! I'm gonna condense my feelings on the first 2 episodes since it seems we're onto episode 3.

Episode 1 and 2:

1. What did you think of the episode?
Great introductory episodes. Really sets the tone and setting well. I almost forgot how much tomfoolery this series has to offer, but when compared to Yoshitoshi ABe's other series, its a good change of pace.

Really there isn't to much that I disliked about the episodes. some of the animation is a bit... weird. But considering its a 9 year old anime, I'll let it slide Wink

3. Did you notice anything that others might not have noticed?Honestly I am not that observant. However, I have made a few observations about Chiaki. She seems out of place for this world created. Let me explain. She is very interested in aliens. Her laptop says it all. There is a NASA sticker, a UFO sticker, a "rocket ship" sticker, and what appears to be two alien stickers, one being a rather huge typical "grey" alien head. This show was made in 2000, so it makes sense. Back in the 90's, the popularity for real aliens and UFOs was at an all time high (and when most people talk about "real" aliens they are referring to the typical grey, large head, with black oval eyes alien). Some used this fascination for good (the X-Files being a great example) and some just exploited it (anyone remember the Alien Autopsy on Fox?). It seems that in the 00's, the popularity of supposed aliens and UFOs has diminished. The stickers on her lap top, as well as her crazed fascination of anything alien reminds myself, as well as many people I knew back in the 90s. But we're in the world of NeiA_7. Not only do aliens exist and live among us, they are very human like (the only notable difference being the antenna or ears). And there appears to be a great number of them. Yet she acts like she's never seen an alien or UFO (despite the fact there being a friggin mother ship a bus ride away). Just seems a bit odd.

Finding out Niea's secret power source for her UFO. And the limitations of said power source.

Really both episodes were to introduce us to the main characters and show what kind of world they live in. Despite the alien presence, their reality is very much realistic: poverty, social class and stigma, daily struggles, etc.

Episode 3

1. What did you think of the episode?
This is one of my favorite episodes, as well as one of the most annoying. While we get to meet a few new characters, this episode doesn't offer much except some rather amusing fights.

While I like the constant fighting and bickering, Kana drives me up a wall. It may just be the voice though.
Did anyone see one of more interesting ingredients that Chada puts in his curry? When the curry was spilled on the ground, you could clearly see a few spoiler[snails. yuk!]

I would have to say Chada was the most memorable. I am a bit baffled why they went with the stereo type on an Indian owning a AM 11 PM 7. I figure that there are 7-11's in Japan, but I would have assumed that most of them are run by Japanese. I just figured that stereotype only existed in the US. Gotta love the bubble bath joke. Its not very often (at least for me) that I see sophomoric humor in anime.

I think this episode really drove home the point that the aliens are in different social classes, with Neia being at the bottom. We also learn that they can achieve a higher class, but at what cost is unknown. This may be the biggest reason why there is an "Indian" character, since India still lives by the caste system. More or less, if your born poor you will die poor, there is no ladder to success (unless of course you go on Who Wants to be a Millionaire Laughing ). Interesting that there was also an alien that "represented" China. Are there any stereo types she is exhibiting? I couldn't really tell.

eyeresist wrote:

Warning: Indians running 7/11 stereotype (but is it a stereotype if it's true?)

Well, yeah its true I've seen 7/11's and other liquor stores run by Indians, but I've seen them also run by Chinese, Philipino's, African Americans, Europeans/whites, and Afgans, among others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6