• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hokkaido Gals are Super Adorable! (TV)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Tsubasa seems to have calmed down a bit, thank God. And looks like we are going to meet more of the Ho'kkaido gals next week, which is cool (see what I did there?!?).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:15 am Reply with quote
I thought it was nice that going to the festival was a him thing that he was interested in, and we got some character him where it appears that he has had a reserved lifestyle. He had not had cup noodles before, and I don't know if his appointment with his grandmother could be an extracurricular that he has.

And his grandmother thinking that she is a bad kid or something, and then she saw past some prejudice.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 was another step up compared to the first episode. The mc only had a few spasm attacks this week and newcomer Sayuri is a charming new addition. Most of the episode was Tsubasa slowly getting to know her and she is quite a different kind of gal (I also no longer know what constitutes as a gal). They hit it off and by the end of the episode friendships were made and no bones were broken.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:41 pm Reply with quote
To me, it's become alright. If the show was on a Wednesday or a Friday, I might not have stuck with it this far. But I'm liking the rural wintry setting and the artwork, and to some extent, the innocence. I think there's an art to making naive, enthusiastic, and emotionally wide open characters interesting, and it's a tricky one.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Yep, this is far from an Insta-Classic, strictly meat & potatoes rom-com but it does have a low wattage charm of its own. Certainly enough to stop me from flushing it down the tube, so far. And there is still one more important Hokkaido Gal to meet...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:31 am Reply with quote
If he was meant to just be a standard insert, it is interesting that he wasn't familiar with games like Smash Bros.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:10 pm Reply with quote
The show does nothing revolutionary, but it is certainly charming and getting to know about the daily life in Hokkaido is quite interesting too. A blizzard like that here in Holland would mean the whole country grinding to a halt while over there it is kind of business as usual. Even Fuyuki is not crazy enough to go out in a blizzard though. Seeing more of the gang just having fun is nice too and we had a bit more teasing this week that got slightly out of hand (literally).
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Yah, It's a cute show. It looks like the winter setting is going to continue to be a thing, and that's good, and it also looks like they really are toning down the spazz attacks, and that's even better. If Hokaido Girl #3 isn't irritating, this show might just be approved for take off here at Edjwald's commuter airport.

(It's been circling the runway for a while now)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

So thanks to this show, I have found out some super important information: smurky is Dutch! Well, that's cool. I haven't been in your country since 1982 (prolly before you were born) but I quite liked it. Only spent two days in Amsterdam and drove through on the way to France so didn't get much of a chance to explore. Ottawa has a lovely Tulip Festival every spring thanks to Holland.

No surprise that Minami's mom is super milfy. It's actually good for me to be watching this during a Toronto winter because what's happening in the show is way worse than the winter we are having this year. Makes me feel good.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Yup, Holland was and is the land of the tulips (also cheese and dikes). Amsterdam has been known for certain other things for a long time.....so I am sure that you had a fun time there knowing you.

As for episode 5, I like that it has romantic bits in it, but also very much focuses on friendship and getting to know more about Hokkaido. Be it the karaoke in the dungeon (first time seeing that) or dealing with the whole chocolate disaster, they are having a fun time and support each other when needed. The mc also seems to have dropped his blushing/screaming act.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many Valentine's day anime episodes I've seen over the years.

I've caught up with this thing and I like it well enough so far. The main character seems at least slightly different from a usual self-insert potato with his piano skills and seemingly rich, upper class background. The heroines seem likeable and cute. The male protag is fine, I personally haven't found him freaking out all the time to be all that annoying.

The opening is great.

P.S. Why do I feel like Yoshitsugu Matsuoka has transitioned to doing these dumbass male friend characters? First it felt like he was the hero of every LN adaption and then he started voicing a lot of crazy villains. Is the male protag's dumbass friend his new thing? Maybe this is just some weird recency bias on my part since Eminence in Shadow S2 is quite recent and Tomo-chan Is a Girl wasn't that long ago either.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I've been trying to figure out how this anime can work out so that all this sweetness doesn't end in bitter tears, and I think I've got it. First of all, the rejected females have to form a bond of friendship stronger than their affection for Shiki so that they can get over him.

So hear me out, why not have them unite in hating Shiki? Y'know, two birds, one stone. And as for Shiki, he needs to find a love that will compensate for being the bad guy.

Now hear me out, the next step is accepting that there's a dark horse harem candidate that everyone has forgotten...Fuyuki's mom....

(Dammit, where did I put that flow chart...)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Cam0 wrote:
I wonder how many Valentine's day anime episodes I've seen over the years.

If you're like me... thousands. That's why my eyes tend to glaze over at any over-used scenario: cultural/sports festivals, Valentine's Day, Christmas Eve party, first day of school, hot springs/beach episodes, etc.

However, I did get somewhat invested in this one because I really felt bad for Minami and her ruined chocolates. And yes, Tsubasa really was a stud with that piano recital. Well done, my man. Getting impatient to meet the last girl in the harem, though.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:52 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
If you're like me... thousands. That's why my eyes tend to glaze over at any over-used scenario: cultural/sports festivals, Valentine's Day, Christmas Eve party, first day of school, hot springs/beach episodes, etc.

You know, these standardish romcoms are so predictable anyway that I don't mind the overused scenarios. What I kind of like about these average romcoms is the predictability. I'm so familiar with these tropes at this point that they invoke a sort of homely feel. It's nice.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Something tells me you are a big fan of meatloaf... Wink (And I don't mean the dearly departed singer, although perhaps you are a fan of him, too...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5