• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS (Possible spoilers)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
johnjefferson3 wrote:
I even give you an even more detailed decription later!!!!!

I don't read spoilers or recaps of episodes, I prefer to watch the episodes which is why I just give vague thoughts on each episode as opposed to a lot of spoilers, but thanks for contributing to the topic. I'm sure others like to see what's going on before it happens.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I need subs and I hate being spoiled, but feel free to keep posting provided you use the tags. It's a shame there isn't more discussion going on, but I suppose I'm not one to talk since I haven't exactly posted a bunch in this topic either.
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
It's a shame there isn't more discussion going on, but I suppose I'm not one to talk since I haven't exactly posted a bunch in this topic either.

Well we are barely just coming out of the introductory episodes so it is not surprising that there is not a lot of discussion yet. We'll see once something big happens if more people are into it, and it looks like something's about to start in the next episode.
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:38 am Reply with quote
After a few weeks off I return with another Nanoha post. As usual my posts are just random thoughts and tidbits, if anyone wants to get in on the discussion we could always get deeper into some of the specifics you may be interested in.

Episodes 4-7

We start with another training session in episode 4 where Nanoha is giving the recruits a fairly easy time, but meh, she's a nice girl. Afterwards we get a shower scene (which I wasn't really shocked by, had just finished Ikkitousen when I started on this episode so my fanservice reactionary senses were well numb by this point. Hayate has a meeting with Karim which sets up the next potential adventure, and the new guys get new devices and that's all explained to us. And near then end the first conflict comes about and everyone gets ready to take flight.

I like how the series can find a way to keep things moving without slowing down. I was a tiny bit worried about the speed this franchise usually goes at knowing that it had to somehow maintain it at a full 26 episodes. But an episode like this shows that it can get things accomplished and leave a bunch for the following episodes. And jumping to the next episode it proves it even more.

In episode 5 we see that play out in a big way, even though it really looked like things were starting to move in the previous episode, here it shows how it can still go back and accomplish important things without losing pace and again leaving things to look forward to later. In this episode with spoiler[everyone at full combat ready we get some nice glimpses of Caro's past and how she came about having a Dragon]. Nice little moments of character development to keep one vested in the story.

Oh, and for Fate fans if you have not seen episode 5, watch it now, skip the others if you haven't seen the first 4. The Fate transformation sequence is almost erotic. I've never seen such animated underpants that vanish off during a magical girl's transformation, usually they're plain not spoiler[all lacy and black]. And the bounciness... whew. I don't really go out of my way to look at animated nudity, but that was pretty darned hot; I skipped back a bit just so I could watch it again. (I didn't watch this episode until 2 days after Ikkitousen so fanservice reactionary senses had returned to normal) Actually we got a look at everyone's transformation sequences Fate's just stood out, a lot. And at the end they all had little bits of their uniforms matching their captains, aww, ain't that cute? And no, don't worry guys you don't have to worry about seeing Erio naked, during his transformation we just watch his staff extract. Wait, no, that sounded bad.. uh, erm... his magic wand expands.. no that's not right either, his weapon- .. doh, you know what I mean get your minds out of the gutter! What!? What do you mean I put them there? Oh, the Fate thing, yeah that was hot. Anime catgrin

Nifty battling sequence ensues, nothing major happens, but it was a good teaser for things to come. The only problem I had with it, is that like at the end of A's there are so many people in on the fights that it is hard to remember all that is going on. The should spread the characters out a bit, like those shows where one group is at one location doing one thing and another on is somewhere else and so forth. That way they could still showcase all the characters without causing some of those jumbles. It got only slightly confusing, but there are still a lot of other characters who weren't in on this and that's also leaving out villains, this was only a spoiler[gadget attack (those weird robot things.]

However overall still fun, high speed Nanoha action, and we get a glimpse of thespoiler[ villain at the end. His prize, a relic, got away thanks to the girls, and the boy, but he was able to get some good data of them fighting (undeadben note: he's probably gonna keep a copy of that Fate transformation for his personal records).]

Episode six begins and things appear to be back to normal after the first mission. Vita is working with Subaru and promises to spoiler[beat her ass if she doesn't learn to protect herself from an ass beating]. Well not that way but it sounded as bad in typical Vita fashion. Fate is here and she's working Erio and Caro on evading (not transforming), and Teana is getting coached by Nanoha on her shooting. Basically they are all spoiler[learning what their place is supposed to be in their team.] So why do I bring this all up, because ti is usually something small from training that a show will typically flashback or be referred to in an upcoming battle.

And afterwards we get a nice little bit of background into Erio's spoiler[past and how he came about bing with the group]. Again more nice things that are saved up and added as the episodes move forward. Always enough to give us a view but not so much altogether that it bogs down an entire episode.

We also learn the name of the potential villain, spoiler[Dr. Jail Scaglietti, and another flash to him in his super villain lab where we get to see his gruesome surroundings. A villain's lab wouldn't be right without it and this guy is sick, he has what appear to girl's bodies in cases all along the far walls, and apparently it is hinted that these are his relic weapons. Although he also mentions clients so there's bound to be more bad guys than just him at some point. ]

And right afterwards we see spoiler[a young mysterious girl with mysterious markings walking about mysteriously with a mysterious man wearing mysterious cloaks.] So you know were going to find out about these two at some point. Again nothing earth shattering but enough to keep the story moving forward and keep one interested in what's gong on. But no Fate transformation sequence.

Next episode it's mission time again. this time the group is trying to infiltrate an auction to try and find bad Doctor. We get a nice shot of the grown ups in in dresses obviously different from their usual military attire. And more importantly a shot of, could it be Yuuno? Aww, he is only in two shots in the whole episode and only speaks once, but it was good to see him. And Nanoha made a face like she remembered who he was so he wasn't forgotten.

This episode is Teana's. Yes there's another battle and a pretty exciting one at that, we find out a bit more about the spoiler[mysterious girl, Lutecia and her partner. She causes the group all sorts of trouble doing a job for the doctor before heading off because she is apparently looking for something herself.] In the middle of it all spoiler[Teana who has been having a few doubts about belonging amongst such strong, elite, and famous people, and in the midst of trying to go all gung ho and prove her personal worth she almost makes a huge mistake and gets scolded by Vita. ] So here is a bit of growth for another character, as we get to see a few vulnerabilities.

Only bad part is that here we had a big exciting battle going on and, again, no Fate transformation. Going back to watch episode 5 again. Razz

So far I'm really liking the series. I like how it is working these early episodes and how things are set up. All the character development a bit at a time is making me like all these characters more and the action sequences are getting more and more exciting, nothing huge yet, saving for the end, but neat stuff, so overall the series is doing a good job so far and looks to be getting better.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the series so far?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2