• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaiba (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
I'd also like to know who the animation directors are for each episode because the style of animation is noticeably different in many of the episodes.

Well, like Cloe said above, only one guy worked on the animation (and everything else) for episode 4. That was an amazing episode for just a single person. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
The encyclopedia page for Kaiba also lists someone by the name of Jamie Vickers, who I assume is not Japanese, as the animation director for episode 6, so I'm curious to see how that episode will fare as well as who else Masaaki Yuasa finds to direct the animation.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Man, I must not have as good an eye as you guys do because I didn't notice that at all! Anime smile + sweatdrop But that's definitely interesting to know though, that they have a different animator for each episode (including an American one for next episode, that should be very interesting). But I guess that just comes to show how good the animation quality is in this series, that not only can it be different and still this good, but that you can barely even notice it is in the first place.

But yeah, definitely another good episode. A speculation of mine could possibly be that spoiler[if Warp is the ruler of the universe, then that might make Kaiba one of his subordinates and they just somehow accidentally got their memory chips mixed up or something.] I don't know, it's a complex series so it's probably not something as simple as that. Wink
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
If the bodies that people no longer use spoiler[are turned into food]

That part made me think of Soylent Green.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
If the bodies that people no longer use spoiler[are turned into food]

That part made me think of Soylent Green.

For me that part actually reminded me of Xenogears, if any of you guys have ever played that game.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Man, I must not have as good an eye as you guys do because I didn't notice that at all!

... Really?

Episode five isn't up to snuff with its plot compared to what precedes it, but it's one of the most visually unique pieces of animation in anime. Art direction never sits still and gives such a massive amount of variety, here.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:20 am Reply with quote
Five was a bit disappointing. I could see what they were going for and I think it fits into the overall themes of the series, but the script was just wasn't that good or even all that coherent. I did like the change in animation style to reflect the base ugliness of that planets culture, but that alone can't make-up for such a flawed screenplay.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 6: Finally, some plot development. I had to re-watch parts of the first episode to try and better understand the plot so far. I'm guessing spoiler[that girl in Warp's locket doesn't have any memories either and is only being used by Popo to carry out his plans.] Also, whose idea was it to make spoiler[a male body without hands]? Confused
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
After the visual breakdance that was episode 5, I found the art in episode 6... Tame? By comparison. I mean the standard designs were there, but it was all a bit clean cut this time around.

As for the plot, well I'm going to go along for the ride with this one. I'm of the firm belief that overanalysing it won't benefit me, and all ends will be tied up eventually. Don't ask me why, but I just am.

Of course, that could be construed as a complete cop-out on my part. For pete's sake, man, just admit you don't know what the hell's going on anymore! Twisted Evil
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
... Really?

Episode five isn't up to snuff with its plot compared to what precedes it, but it's one of the most visually unique pieces of animation in anime. Art direction never sits still and gives such a massive amount of variety, here.

Honestly, I swear I feel like a complete idiot watching this series sometimes...... First everyone's talking about how apparently "not all that hard to follow" this series is, then all of a sudden everyone's talking about "how incredibly different the animation style was in this episode" like even a 2 year old could notice it or something when to me it looks no different than any of the other previous episodes! Gah! Anime dazed I'm loving the series at the Masterpiece level, there's no question about that, and I seem to be getting it for the most part but for some odd reason I'm feeling kind of left in the dark here pertaining to some of these things you guys are seeing that I'm somehow not......... I don't know, maybe it's just one of those things that requires multiple viewings in order for me to finally see what some of you guys are seeing or something.
Houlgrave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
Well, after going through atleast 6+ episodes of the majoriy of the Spring shows, I gotta say that Kaiba and Amatsuki are definitely the gems of the spring season; both are quite deviant from the usual (the former in premise/art, the latter in it's interesting, non-linear plot), and are directed with quite a bit of creative flair. Inspired flair no less!

Will definitely continue watching this, though I am saddened somewhat that it will only be 12 episodes; there's quite a bit you can do when the setting is as ambitious as what we have been shown. Smile
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7: Okay, spoiler[that male body was made to plant bombs]. I'm glad they cleared that up.

spoiler[It is interesting to see conflicts with gender identity when you switch into a body of your opposite sex as first shown in episode 6. It was also very touching to see Vanilla make the choice to save Kaiba and sacrifice himself, especially since he's a character that we've been following from episode 1. Now we can only wait and see where Vanilla transferred Kaiba's memories and why it was that Warp was killing all of those people in Neiro's memories.]
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
After the disappointing plot in episode five, Kaiba returns with a bang in six and seven. A brilliant intermingling of the various sci-fi, (loosely) political and emotional aspects that made the first three episodes so amazing.

To excuse my laziness, I'll link to a page on the AoD thread where discussion and speculation starts up. My own thoughts on some points not mentioned up can also be read.

@fokkusuhaundo: spoiler[Considering that Popo has obviously messed with Neiro's memories, we can't be too certain how much we're given is fact and what is fabrication.]
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
To excuse my laziness, I'll link to a page on the AoD thread where discussion and speculation starts up.

I've taken a look at that thread before but considering that I'm only able to follow the English fansubs while many in that thread were ahead by watching raws (although it looks like the fansub group has caught up with episode 7) I couldn't exactly contribute much to the discussion that hadn't already been said.

Aiia from AoD wrote:
spoiler[Warp has been painted over with Popo's face, and the other way around.]

Considering this it is very likely that spoiler[it was Popo that modified Neiro's memories like you said Hellkorn and that it might not have been Warp that kill her parents]. Of course there's still much that we do not know and there's still 4 episodes left.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
So I'd been considering watching this for a couple weeks now (the art style had me holding off), but last night I watched the first five episodes (the file for episode 6 I got was a different format and wasn't running smooth on my computer, so I have to get the one that will before I can continue). I had almost no idea what to expect going in except the "memories can be removed and inserted into a new body" premise.

The first episode seemed to go by incredibly fast. The end credits started rolling and I thought, "wait, that was only like half of it, right?"

Then I watched the second episode and thought, "wow, they really go through characters quickly." Also, spoiler[wierdest sex scene ever.]

Third episode had me crying. Knew it was coming, but it didn't make things any easier. I'm a little confused as to Chroniko's aunt, spoiler[it seemed like she was altering her memories so they were happier, but she was the one who bought Chroniko the boots, right? So it wasn't all bad from the start. But then she wants to get rid of Chroniko because she sees Chroniko as some kind of burden?]
Ah, just read HellKorn's explanation of what happened there. Missed the bit about spoiler[the aunt was trying to by back her own memories.]

I'm a little surprised at how chivalrous Vanilla is being towards Kaiba/Chroniko, considering how brusque (that the right word?) he was with Butter and the stowaway.

Then episode 5. The art style looked wierd even by the standards of this show. Not really surprised at the spoiler[soylent green] moment, but it doesn't really seem disturbing, given the disposable nature of physical bodies in this universe. More surprised that the spoiler[apparent ruler of the planet ended up being such a nice guy. Yeah, it does help his financial interest to revive Patch, but given that he'd let Patch have those huge gold rocks despite Patch having no want or use for them shows the ruler guy didn't need Patch to sustain his wealth.]

So, yeah, this is good stuff. Glad I decided to give it a try.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9