• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Higehiro (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:14 am Reply with quote

Higehiro (TV)

Genres: drama, romance
Themes:

Plot Summary: 26-year-old Yoshida is an employee at a major IT company. He meets a high school girl on his way home after drinking. Yoshida's crush had decisively rejected him after he pined for her for five years, and he had decided to drink his sorrow. Sayu, the runaway high school girl he meets, says they could sleep together if he lets her stay with him. Yoshida chides the girl for the suggestion but eventually lets her stay with him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Well, Sayu's character introduction really is something...

This episode pretty much establish the main premise of the show so far with her taking refuge at Yoshida's home. I noticed she even lets him see her student card. Yoshida is a pretty normal guy imo, with a normal job. It's that his life isn't going to be as normal as before. Sayu is more mysterious but she puts on a smile that is charming.

Very curious to see how this anime will develop their relationship.

Animation looks good and this will be a 1-cour show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:07 am Reply with quote
Looking at all the reviewer comments, there does seem to be a general consensus with my own feelings, that the camera really does no favours for what is meant to be. Yoshida is proclaiming absolutely no interest, so it is is counter intuitive that that the camera still sexualise her. At most they maybe want to do something about resisting temptation, but the story itself is going out of its way to not have Yoshida think that he is great for things that should be the bare minimum of not doing something illegal and immoral to a teenage girl.

I really don't want this to become a romance between the adult and teenage girl, and spotting romance there in the genre I really hope it could be with an adult. Probably too much, but I could imagine that maybe as he could meet a woman that fits him, this woman could maybe help Sayu in ways he could not.

There already is the implications that Sayu has been prostituting herself in the several months she has been away from "home", kind of fascinated what environment would be so bad that it would be better.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Every time the show shies away from any romantic hints between between them, the show is better. Even platonic hug she gave him when she noticed he was down was may need a hug.

His new colleague is interesting, as it kind of looks like she might be interested.in him, since she seemed to see him being turned down as lucky. Would be good to have her as a buffer to not have romance between the adult and teenager.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:33 pm Reply with quote
#1 & #2

Decided to watch this on a whim. Not sure if I'm looking at some kind of cradle-snatching romance or something more platonic and slice-of-life. Sayu's predicament is not something made-up, from what I remember from past media she's been getting by with the 神待ち lifestyle and has so far been fortunate to get off with sleeping with strangers (there are far worse fates to be had for runaway teenagers). Yoshida (it's interesting that unlike Sayu he has no first name, I wonder if this is going to be important later or the author didn't think the first name mattered in the grand scheme of things) is a single IT worker who's just been rejected but has enough means to temporarily take on a runaway teenager to be his live-in housekeeper.

Drunken stupor he might have been in, but Yoshida has his heart in the right place even if the arrangement he now has with Sayu has plenty of moral and ethical issues if it was made public. He's clearly making enough to take on the additional expenses (extra clothes, new futon, mobile phone + case and counting) and still have enough time and money to go out for social dinners. His colleague is right though; the arrangement cannot go on and something has to be done with Sayu for her sake.

Sayu for her part has been living the vagabond lifestyle for too long and has acquired bad habits which Yoshida points out in episode 2. To her credit she owns up and is willing to be more honest. She does try in her own way to do good to her host, even if she's uncomfortable with Yoshida's long-term decency. I'm guessing that she was picked up in Spring or early Autumn as her uniform isn't the summer variant, so for the short term she avoids having to sleep rough in Tokyo during winter which could be lethal even to teenagers. Like Yoshida I'm wondering what drove her to run away, but it's early days with regards to whether she'll open up enough to tell Yoshida more about herself.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:11 am Reply with quote
It would be the best that he at least had a third party able to keep track of the situation, at the least that he could protect himself from later being accused of having done something. And otherwise that Sayu have someone she can reach out to if she would not be comfortable to him.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:52 am Reply with quote
1-2:

Hmm, okay.

Finally got the time to catch up to this show. Not bad. It's more of the cute and sweet type of drama rather than the stereotypical melodramatic kind. Sayu has issues back home that she prefers not to talk about (understandably), and Yoshida probably doesn't want to pry into it either (understandably).

Yoshida is, from what I can tell, a "feminist". No, not the Western definition who advocates better treatment of women's rights. The Japanese definition of "feminism": he's kind towards women (not in a patronizing or even simpy kind of way). You've seen such guys before: those who are just more thoughtful towards the fairer sex. No ulterior motive about it whatsoever.

The problem right now (and we all know this), is how his "feministic" ways might get him into unnecessary trouble. He takes in a runaway girl. Gives her home, gives her food. Hopes that one day she leaves, ideally not as spoiled as when he first met her. But he can't, because by then he's grown attached to her, romantically or not. Sounds familiar? Because it's a cliché. You've heard of this before: how being kind can be cruel. He looks out for her, but he's not addressing the problem at hand head-on. I'm not sure if he actively wants her to leave for her own good because 1) his kindness won't allow him to kick her out of the house, and 2) despite his insistence that he's not into her, there's always a chance that he changes his mind. Always. Especially when he's convincing himself that he's not interested (that's usually a red flag). He can bet his life savings if he's so confident about it.

But on a side note, the other thing I've grimly reminded of in this show: the scrutiny of the workplace. Man, this is scary. Not only is Yoshida into his own boss, even his own boss is looking out for him. Together with his co-worker and subordinate. That's frightening for someone like me: I hate people poking into my own business. But that's the (Japanese?) workplace for you.

I feel like I'm watching a dating sims game, although not necessarily bad. Probably predictable, but I like it. Not too heavy or light as a drama, so I can stick around.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:38 am Reply with quote

I still don't know if this is going to turn out to be a cradle-snatching romance, but at the very least it looks like Sayu won't have to resort to doing what she did at the start of the episode in order to continue being Yoshida's live-in housekeeper. It's worth nothing Sayu did not give her real name in previous encounters, it's only when she meets Yoshida and he demands to see her student ID that she has to use her real name.

Sayu has been living the vagabond life for so long that she cannot compute how someone can be unconditionally nice to her without asking for anything material in return. Although, it appears this psychological pivot she possesses has been with her since before she ran away, if her conversation with Mishima is anything to go by. Her backstory is something that has to be explored, since it's inconceivable why she would run away from her family if she claims they got along fine.

As for Yoshida, he fits the definition of "nice but romantically dense". The object of his affection probably likes him, but for whatever reason isn't ready to commit to a long-term relationship with him. His junior is hitting on him romantically, yet he doesn't recognise it for what it is. Mishima to her credit figures out how dense he is, although it doesn't appear to have stopped her advances. I'm not sure the current situation counts as a "love triangle", since Mishima mistakenly believes Yoshida and Sayu are somehow related and Sayu for whatever reason is staying temporarily at Yoshida's residence. That makes two colleagues who know of his lodger, although only the male colleague is truly aware of the real situation.

As for the confrontation between Sayu and Yoshida, I could have done without the camera shots focusing on Sayu, but it's not out of place considering what they were talking about. Sayu really sees herself as useful to the 神様 of the moment as an object of sexual gratification, so it's huge for her to find out Yoshida is happy to have her as a live-in housekeeper and platonic domestic companion as compensation for allowing her to board without paying money. Sayu is still correct in pointing out Yoshida would be arrested and she would be taken into custody if the police found out what they were doing, but so long as they don't attract undue attention to themselves the temporary arrangement works for them both for the short-term.

Looks like Sayu will be taking up a part-time job next episode. Maybe the new workplace will change her mindset.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully we now have it frontloaded seeing her have sex, and her taking her clothes off to push him into having sex. Sayu being able to talk to his junior could be worthy.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:44 am Reply with quote
2:

Ah, here we go.

Sayu (or not-Miyuki) thinks that people are always driven by self-interest. Yeah, guys be nice to her only because they are thirsty. Isn't that how the world works? According to Sayu, it should be. But no, some people like Yoshida are just plain nice. Sure, you can argue that he's not completely altruistic; he does appreciate having her in his home. He didn't verbalize it, which even he thought he should have done to clear it up. Sayu is predictably naive, but there must be a reason why she thinks people (especially) guys are only in it for themselves.

I just have one question: the guy that not-Miyuki slept with... is that Yoshida's colleague at work? I had the impression that it was the same guy.

Mishima... yeah, she's the "kouhai/cheerleader". Too clear.

Gotou... pfft, I bet she's not seeing anyone. She's just not interested in seeing anyone yet, and is keeping Yoshida at an arm's length.

This really does feel like a dating sims romance.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:14 am Reply with quote
Man, this show is in danger of tearing a groin muscle the way it strains to have its cake and eat it, too. The show assures us every 5 minutes that the MC has no interest - ZERO, YOU HEAR ME??? - in having sex with Sayu yet the show is so clearly about the wish fulfillment fantasy of a sexy, teenage girl wanting to jump your bones. Bah, do they really expect me to fall for this contradiction and keep on watching???

*slinks away knowing he will continue to avidly watch*
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:30 am Reply with quote
*once seeing that Blood- is around the corner and can't see his screen*

You should be ashamed of yourself.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I know... Embarassed Crying or Very sad Sad Twisted Evil
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:52 am Reply with quote

Letting Sayu have a part-time job was Yoshida's idea of letting her leave the apartment and do something different instead of going insane staying indoors 24/7. Looks like he got more than he bargained for as yet another person learns about their arrangement and the pair have to lie about their true relationship to fob off the interloper. It doesn't work; the gyaru is too street-wise and knows he's lying but won't pry further. I'm curious to see how she handles Sayu going forward, especially as Sayu herself is still guilt-ridden about the present relationship.

In Yoshida's shoes, I'd be angry at Gotou as well having been stood up. His senior is right: it starts getting serious after he's been rejected. Not sure what's going through Gotou's mind, but she and the rest of the office heard the conversation between Yoshida and Mishima loud and clear and it appears curiosity has overwhelmed her more than jealousy for now. The exchange does give an insight into Yoshida pre-Sayu; a workaholic with no social life, gets invited by his boss on occasions for meals (who he has a serious crush on) and spends his time outside of work alone. More or less in line with what he told Sayu over the last few episodes.

Very brief glimpse into what trauma drove Sayu from her home, but it's not elaborated on. Until Yoshida learns this, the unstable nature of this relationship will persist until someone familiar with the pair calls the police on them.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:59 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I think there is a good case for him to be angry at Gotou, since her actions could come across as manipulative, and really only interest after his following actions after she already rejected him, like only interested after she thought he might have someone else. She might as she said be the innocent person that was waiting for what she thought was a good time to accept as part of some intuition. But it does kind of look like she has played with his feelings of both her position of his boss and someone he had a crush on to keep her chasing him.

Could see ahead in the show that Sayu's Colleague did want to prod him for what the actual story was, and that Yoshida was bringing Gotou because she wants to meet Sayu. Yoshida saying that it should be up to Sayu to tell Asami, was something I did not expect a maybe more respectful move, that Asami should at least understand it is not something sketchy. And I am curious to see how Gotou will react to Sayu, to go forward with how to think of her, whether she is going to act jealous, or not trust that he can keep his hands off a teenage girl.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3