• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence Film Canceled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:53 pm Reply with quote
It also hurts me remembering that YoI wasn't profitable for MAPPA. :c

But it did hell of alot better with physical sales than Chainsaw man did.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yuri on Ice got cancelled because MAPPA dragged their feet for 7 years and did nothing with (at the time), their most prominant original IP.

That's speculation at most, not the actual reason. Production committees are the ones that lead and control the direction of any anime IP, and while MAPPA itself was part of it, they had very little investment, meaning their power was minimal compared to the several companies involved.

There is the plausible theory of MAPPA wanting a bigger share and the committee refusing, as it fits what they have been doing with their most recent titles, but even so, "MAPPA doesn't want to/couldn't continue it" by itself wouldn't automatically call for a cancellation. The entire rest of the committee could literally just offer it to another studio, it happens all the time. This was an agreement on all parties, and we'll never know the exact details on what happened in all these years until someone involved actually comments on it.
MF65

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:13 pm Reply with quote
@ranran-001

Tell me you don't know how a production committee works without telling me you don't know how a production committee works Rolling Eyes

For future reference, here's Yuri!!! on ICE's production committee, in order:
Avex Pictures
TV Asahi
Dentsu Inc.
CIC
cygames
TV Asahi Music
Movic
MAPPA

But, by all means, do keep blaming the guys at the end of the food chain for the cancellation. Avex and the others appreciate your support Laughing
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:03 pm Reply with quote
It sucks, but I can't say I'm surprised. MAPPA got screwed over by the production committee system on the original show, so I can understand why they'd be reluctant to make more.
Oggers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Like a lot of other fans, I'm not surprised by this but it still makes me sad. Yuri on Ice is still one of my favourite anime, but it seems like too many factors were against this movie getting off the ground at all despite the anime's financial success.

It's probably unlikely, but I hope someday we can at least get some idea of what the movie would have been like if it was released.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I honestly thought it was already cancelled given how long it has been with no new trailer or info on it. Confused
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Sad but inevitable given how long it’s been since we’ve gotten any news.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Kakegurui wrote:
Any other studio would have gone straight to releasing season 2 or a movie ASAP

Without any potential production issues delaying it?

ranran-001 wrote:

You know what I would say to those Russians feeling discriminated against? Boo hooo. Why don't they go and listen to actual Ukranians who don't know if they will live the next time an air raid happens.

Are we throwing those that oppose the Russian Invasion of Ukraine and have been threatened with Prison time or other punitive actions, under the bus. Along with the LGBTQ community in Russia that the country has spent the last decade in a half deliberately targeting with discriminatory laws?

WeebRunningWild wrote:
I hope they release what they have of the movie, or someone leaks it. You can't have worked on it for 7 years and not have more than the teaser.

Development Hell doesn’t work like that.

They might have scripts, character designs, story outline. But not necessarily a full finished product.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I never finished the TV series but it takes a real special sort of stupid to screw up something like this. And of course because this is the anime industry where nobody ever talks about anything or is honest, we'll never know how this got botched.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:38 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Kakegurui wrote:

ranran-001 wrote:

You know what I would say to those Russians feeling discriminated against? Boo hooo. Why don't they go and listen to actual Ukranians who don't know if they will live the next time an air raid happens.

Are we throwing those that oppose the Russian Invasion of Ukraine and have been threatened with Prison time or other punitive actions, under the bus. Along with the LGBTQ community in Russia that the country has spent the last decade in a half deliberately targeting with discriminatory laws?

Russians sure love to play the victim card when it is convient. Right now Russia and its army are lobbing bombs, excluding minority classes, the vast majority of Russians in support of Putin sure love to gripe and cry about not having enough milk at the supermarket.

TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Quote:
Yuri on Ice got cancelled because MAPPA dragged their feet for 7 years and did nothing with (at the time), their most prominant original IP.

That's speculation at most, not the actual reason. Production committees are the ones that lead and control the direction of any anime IP, and while MAPPA itself was part of it, they had very little investment, meaning their power was minimal compared to the several companies involved.

They did nothing of import in the last 7 years, that's a figurative "dragging their feet." No need to get pithy.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Even though the radio silence had me suspecting this would be the case, it still hurts like hell.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I didn't have much interest in YOI, but Sayo Yamamoto is one of my favorite anime directors, having directed two of my favorites, Michiko & Hatchin and Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. So I'm looking forward to seeing what she does next.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Metamarphosis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:22 pm Reply with quote
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
It also hurts me remembering that YoI wasn't profitable for MAPPA. :c

But it did hell of alot better with physical sales than Chainsaw man did.

Did you read others person post above about Yuri on Ice production committee? Mappa at bottom list means that bd sales and streaming right they got a little.

CSM own by Mappa means that streaming and Makima merchandise all goes to Mappa bank. CSM have huge number view of streaming when it airing. It also appear on Japan tv rating above Bleach TYBW.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:37 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Kakegurui wrote:

ranran-001 wrote:

Russians sure love to play the victim card when it is convient. Right now Russia and its army are lobbing bombs, excluding minority classes, the vast majority of Russians in support of Putin sure love to gripe and cry about not having enough milk at the supermarket.

what the hell does any of this have to do with the cancellation of an original anime ip’s movie
DanMatcha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:22 am Reply with quote
MF65 wrote:
For future reference, here's Yuri!!! on ICE's production committee, in order:
Avex Pictures
TV Asahi
Dentsu Inc.
CIC
cygames
TV Asahi Music
Movic
MAPPA

But, by all means, do keep blaming the guys at the end of the food chain for the cancellation. Avex and the others appreciate your support Laughing

Where did you get this information? Neither the opening nor the ending credits show the members of the production committee. I’m not trying to doubt you, but asking out of interest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5