• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So what’s the point of NGE?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foljo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Maybe I've seen it too many times, but the message of Evangelion seems really simple to me and the movie makes sense on a variety of levels. It's presented in a complicated fashion, but you can boil it down pretty easily and come up with a theme for the show that makes sense.

Everyone seems split down the middle on RahXephon; I stand by my assertion that it's an adult show, made by adults, for adults, and that anyone under the age of, say, 21 or so simply won't be able to relate to a lot of the messages the series has to offer. It isn't action-packed, it's paced a little slow, and requires your full attention. Your brain has to be firing in order to get anything out of it. Evangelion can be appreciated by anyone, really; it works on a variety of levels and could entertain the lowest common denominator as well as the educated man. There's big robots beating eachother up, blood, breasts and all those other things that attract people to anime. RahXephon simply does not wallow in that sort of thing; it refuses to pander, which turns a lot of people off. It just isn't for everyone.

IMHO, RahXephon is MUCH closer to an 'arthouse' film than Evangelion is. Arthouse films won't have excessive sex and explosions just to sell more tickets or merchandise, which is precisely what Evangelion has in spades. RahXephon takes itself seriously and makes zero concession to any audience member who isn't trying their hardest to pay attention to and analyze what they're seeing on screen. It requires active, thoughtful viewing on behalf of the audience member.

Therefore, it is much closer in tone and spirit to an art film.

-Zac

Ah, this what was a problem with NGE for me, you hit the nail in the head. For the first half of series it was just like any other mediocre anime. A boy, who is a loser, pilots a big ass robot, gets into weird sexual situations (ala Love Hina) and so on. This why I had a big problem with taking anything seriously for the few last episodes. I literally was rolling my eyes sometimes. It started out generic and ended , what it seems, as an anime about teenager full of angst. Don’t all people have a problem with self-identity while growing up?
kamiboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Don’t all people have a problem with self-identity while growing up?

Apparently not as much as our favourite basket case Anno-san did.
Foljo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:03 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
Quote:
Don’t all people have a problem with self-identity while growing up?

Apparently not as much as our favourite basket case Anno-san did.

Who? Smile
kamiboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Hideaki Anno, the director of and the man behind Evangelion.
Foljo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I had no idea. So this why it started out to be a happy anime about saving the world and ended up… well like it is now?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Foljo wrote:
Sorry, I had no idea. So this why it started out to be a happy anime about saving the world and ended up… well like it is now?

... I think that's what happened. >.> See the movie and determine how it ends for yourself. Anime smile;
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Eva certainly used its genre base as a trojan horse to get on the air; after all, toy companies aren't going to jump to sponsor a show about angst! I suspect that if Rahxephon was able to eschew crowd-pleasing violence and sexuality, it was able to do so largely because Eva had paved the way for cerebral artsy anime. Which is as it should be; once someone's pioneered something, other folks need to to continue exploring its possibilities.

Many art films do have a ton of sex/violence, though. Contempt, one of Godard's best films, has some gratuitious nudity. And Salo; oh, Salo. Sick movie.

Anyhoo, Shinji keeps getting a bad rap; fanboys are always whining about how Shinji is always whining. The difference is that Shinji's whining because his unloving dad is forcing him to take on the responsibility of saving the world, while the fanboys are whining because they don't like a cartoon, but they can't stop watching because their huge fat asses are stuck in their momma's basement sofas so they can't get up to find the remote under all the pizza boxes. Besides, who doesn't complain all the time when they're fourteen? When I was fourteen I was the biggest freaking crybaby in town. Same deal when I was twenty-five, for that matter.

Edited for me can't spell good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Dilandau wrote:
I feel dishonoured for saying it, but I agree. I think if everything went according to plan, it would have turned no different than anything else (on the higher end still). But it would not be the ragging topic that it still is after 10 years.

10 years already! wow Shocked congrats to Mr. Anno for making something that has lasted this long.

"When I was fourteen I was the biggest freaking crybaby in town. Same deal when I was twenty-five, for that matter."

Laughing I'm sorry, but I can't stop laughing at this... it's just... so perfect for many people I know
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Maybe I've seen it too many times, but the message of Evangelion seems really simple to me and the movie makes sense on a variety of levels. It's presented in a complicated fashion, but you can boil it down pretty easily and come up with a theme for the show that makes sense.

I got the exact same feeling from it. I went into the series expecting it to be this super-philosophical analysis of the very essence of man...and while it was pretty deep, it wasn't nearly what I expected. I pretty much got it after a couple runs through, and am now pretty much burned out on the property from debating (see: regurgitating the same basic points ad nauseum) it for about two straight years.

Personally, I get more fulfilling debates out of the likes of Boogiepop, Lain, & The Big O these days than I do Eva.

Last edited by Nagisa on Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Aaron, I think you've pretty much hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Aaron White wrote:
Anyhoo, Shinji keeps getting a bad rap; fanboys are always whining about how Shinji is always whining. The difference is that Shinji's whining because his unloving dad is forcing him to take on the responsibility of saving the world, while the fanboys are whining because they don't like a cartoon, but they can't stop watching because their huge fat asses are stuck in their momma's basement sofas so they can't get up to find the remote under all the pizza boxes. Besides, who doesn't complain all the time when they're fourteen? When I was fourteen I was the biggest freaking crybaby in town. Same deal when I was twenty-five, for that matter.

I just keep rereading this and laugh and laugh... Smile

And of course you get my utmost respect for having seen Salo, *shudder*
Ramiel_X

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I liked both RahXephone and Eva, and I also think people need to stop whinning about the whinning that Shinji does, much like, I belive Aaron said. See they whine just as much as Shinji, or close to it. The series wasn't as hard to pick up as End of Evangelion was. First, maybe second time I went through and watched the entire series, I got most of the concepts. The movie took me a good 5-7 times before I could even wrap my mind around some of the concepts.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Anyhoo, Shinji keeps getting a bad rap; fanboys are always whining about how Shinji is always whining. The difference is that Shinji's whining because his unloving dad is forcing him to take on the responsibility of saving the world, while the fanboys are whining because they don't like a cartoon,

More often I'm whining because of all the Gainax fanboys that are like "OMG, evangelion is like the coolest thing evar!!!!!!!! you dont like it!???????????? wats wrong with u? you just dont git it." It gets a little anoying after a while.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:09 pm Reply with quote
"Eva certainly used its genre base as a trojan horse to get on the air; after all, toy companies aren't going to jump to sponsor a show about angst! I suspect that if Rahxephon was able to eschew crowd-pleasing violence and sexuality, it was able to do so largely because Eva had paved the way for cerebral artsy anime. Which is as it should be; once someone's pioneered something, other folks need to to continue exploring its possibilities."

I'll admit I'm incredibly drunk right now, but Aaron, your pointing this out means nothing. So what if Eva paved the way? What does that have to do with what RahX is? Citizen Kane pioneered many techniques used in most modern films today, does every best picture owe its success to Orson Welles? No, no it doesn't Art evolves, it isn't all the product of one work of genius.

-Zac
space clam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I may be a day late and a dollar short, but here's a nifty little link no one posted yet. animenewsnetwork.com/feature.php?id=14 That may clear up a few things.

As for the Rah vs. Eva, I have to go with Rah for being a more inteligent anime. I personally like to sit down and strain my brain, as opposed to seeing numerous explosions and seemingly out-of-place classical music. Anno's a little too nutsy for me; he's probably the only one who really knows what's going on. On a side note, I still don't like the Eva jiggle, makes my eyes hurt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to mention this earlier, but you should read the manga too. I think it's doing a good job of explaining Eva, plus at the end of each book they have a special section that goes in depth into the story "thus far." Maybe I'm weird, but I find these sections pretty helpful. I think if have enough interest in the series to start a "what is the meaning of eva" thread, the manga would probably be worth your while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5